When we were first offered an “Everything” bagel, we were skeptical.
Having experienced the strange mix of flavors when your pungent Asiago cheese bagel rides home from the bakery next to your sticky-sweet blueberry bagel … well, the idea of having “everything” on a bagel seemed suspect.
Boy, were we happily surprised to discover that an everything bagel is pretty much the best thing ever! That generous sprinkle of salt, onion, garlic, poppy seed, and white and black sesame seeds is exactly what the outside of your bagel needed: crunchy salt plus garlic, the slightly nutty seeds, toasty onion bits. Fantastic stuff.
So fantastic, in fact, that we took this magical combo of flavors and textures, and put it in a jar, so that we could eat it on things other than bagels.
We hesitate to admit it, but we might have even gotten a little obsessed with this seasoning blend, adding it to our favorite foods, from breakfast to snack time to supper. We literally like to sprinkle Everything Bagel Seasoning on everything.
(Okay, we don’t put it on dessert. Of course not dessert. What kind of monster puts garlic and onions on their dessert? No, no, no.)
Everything Bagel Seasoning is our go-to blend of the moment, and we’re using it in a wide variety of ways:
- Garnish for your favorite salad
- On top of boxed mac and cheese as a finishing touch, or mixed with the bread crumb seasoning for the baked casserole (aka “fancy”) variety of mac and cheese
- Basically any kind of cream cheese or sour cream-based dip
- Egg or breakfast casseroles
- Any other kind of casserole
- Cheese balls or spreads, including this genius “recipe”: Roll a log of Chèvre in a bit of Everything Bagel Seasoning and put it on a plate, surrounded by fancy crackers for the quickest “appetizer” you’ll every bring to a party
- Chicken salad, egg salad, potato salad (and pretty much any other mayonnaise-based luncheon salad)
- Cole slaw, like this Asian Slaw
- Cornbread – mixed into the batter, or made into a compound butter to spread on just-baked cornbread or biscuits
- Corn on the cob (again, sprinkled right on, or mixed into softened butter)
- In the breading (or as the sole coating) for chicken breasts or tenders
- Flatbreads, foccaccia, pita (brush with oil, sprinkle with seasoning, and off you go!)
- Rice dishes, other grains
- Seasoning for your oil-and-vinegar salad dressing
- Sprinkled in a saucer of olive oil for bread-dipping
- Potatoes (baked, mashed, roasted, or casserole form)
- As a finishing touch on salmon or tuna
- Savory muffins
- Savory shortbread cookies
- Soft pretzel seasoning
- Stir fry
- Trail mix, snack mix, chex mix
- All kinds of roasted, sauteed, steamed, or grilled vegetables
- Savory waffles
And a final note, about Everything Bagel Seasoning – do you love Everything Bagels, but hate the mess they leave? The answer: use Everything Bagel Seasoning to put the yummy, crunchy, savory bits on the *inside* of the bagel. Use any bagel with your favorite smear, shake on some Everything Bagel Seasoning and smoosh it in. Eat that “everything bagel” in the car or at your desk, with wild abandon (and no fear of wearing the seasoning on your pants the rest of the day).
Everything Bagel Seasoning contains: salt, onion, garlic, poppyseed, white and black sesame seeds.