No doubt, you’re tired of hearing about how awful and bitterly cold the weather is right now.
But at the same time, it’s been so cold, it’s been hard to think about anything else. Holidays are over, springtime feels very far away, and even normal wintertime activities have had to be curtailed due to ridiculously dangerously low temperatures and high arctic winds.
No wonder many of us are feeling discontented (to say the least).
We can’t bring warmer weather here any sooner, and we can’t help get you back into your regular wintertime activities (not that snow-shoveling was all that fun, anyway). But we have found an activity that cheers us up tremendously when we’re in “the winter of our discontent” — we warm up our tummies, and jazz up our tired winter routines, with some new additions to our culinary repertoire.
So, with that in mind, here are some new recipes that we’ve recently added to the AllSpice recipe resource database that may help bring a little warmth and sunshine to your winter cooking routine —
Appetizers, snacks and starters.
- Hot crab dip – might be a nice hors d’oeuvre to take to a Super Bowl party next week.
- Seasoned Popcorn – with grated Asiago cheese and Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil. This post also features several more excellent popcorn topping ideas that you’ll probably love.
- Roasted Nuts With Cherries and Five Spice – a new (and very easy) variation on spiced nuts, this one a sweet-spicy combo of dried cherries and Chinese Five Spice Powder.
- Herbed Goat Cheese Toasts are technically an appetizer, but are so good, I wouldn’t hesitate to serve them as a main dish for a light, snack-y supper.
- Spicy and colorful, Bright Green Curried Soup, has broccoli, lemongrass, Shiitake mushrooms and Serrano Chile Green Powder.
- Tequila-Marinated Salmon with Habanero Salt and Lime Fresco Butter features two specialty salts: Habanero Pepper Salt and Lime Fresco Salt (yum).
- Risotto with Wild Mushrooms, a range of which are available in the Mushrooms category of our online store.
- Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce. Who knew peanut butter, fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes made such a tasty combo?
- Chicken Ras el Hanout. This dish gets its name from a delicious Middle-Eastern spice blend meaning “top of the shop.”
- Easy, fast, and spicy, Fiery Lemon Linguine gets its “zip” from Red Pepper Flakes, lemon zest and juice, and Chipotle Olive Oil.
- Breakfast for dinner? Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Mozzarella and Harissa is a nice twist on one of our family’s go-to weeknight menus.
A little something on the side (dish).
- Sweet Slaw makes a generous batch of salad to serve alongside any meal, or as a topper for your barbecue sandwich.
- Creamed Corn with Garam Masala takes a great wintertime comfort food, and turns it on its head with melted butter spiced with Garam Masala. YUM.
And don’t forget dessert!
- Chai-Spiced Sugar Cookies, your decadent coffee-shop drink, in cookie form. For extra decadence, serve with Spiked Holiday Chai (holiday optional).
- Pumpkin, Caramel, Dark Chocolate and Fleur de Sel Cookies
- Honey Lavender Cake smells divine and tastes like summer sun, shining on your backyard herb garden.
- Chocolate Pecan Caramel Turtle Thumbprints. No explanation necessary.
- Five-spiced Chocolate Cupcakes. Just the thing for the upcoming Chinese New Year (or just for the special occasion of needing a cheerful spicy cupcake).