Desserts are clearly the favorite course at our family’s holiday gathering (there are dozens upon dozens of good dessert recipes in the AllSpice recipe library). We tried our best to narrow down the list to our favorites, categorized by pies, cakes, cobblers, and other delicious treats.
Repeat after us: “Pies aren’t scary.” Baking a pie can feel like a daunting task, but it really doesn’t have to be. Here are a few of our favorite pie recipes for the Thanksgiving spread (we left pumpkin off the list since pumpkin pie recipes are a dime a dozen):
- Apple Pie: Apple pie is always a classic. For you pie purists out there, we know… we cheated in our recipe and used premade pie crusts. Making your own isn’t difficult if you want to go all in. The big debate with apple pie? To cheese or not to cheese? We’re team not-to-cheese 100%!
- Pecan Pie: Who doesn’t love a nutty pie? Pecan pie beautifully combines the flavor of pecans with vanilla and just a touch of citrus.
- Peach Hand Pies: We’re taking a stand. Hand pies are real pies…just portable! Peach pies are the best pies according to AllSpicer Rory. And with this hand pie variety, he’s got a free fist, so we’re not going to argue with him!
You can’t go wrong with a good cake. And the flavor options are literally endless. Here are a few we love from the library:
- Cranberry Spice Cake: If that jiggly can of cranberry sauce doesn’t have you all cranberried out, this cake is a festive holiday option. Tart cranberry flavor is balanced nicely with a citrusy-sweet glaze.
- Grandma Kate’s Chocolate Cake: Grandma Kate’s chocolate cake has been a staple at AllSpicer Eva’s holiday table for decades, and once you make it, you’ll understand why. This classic chocolate cake can’t be beat!
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting: Okay, so we didn’t include pumpkin pie in the pie section above, but we didn’t want to leave you pumpkin-less for Thanksgiving. This delicious pumpkin cake is topped with a tasty and sweet cream cheese frosting. If you’re a pumpkin bar lover, you’ll gobble this cake right up!
- Walnut Orange Cake: There’s got to be a nut in the bunch, and this one takes the cake (ba-dum-tss)! The orange flavor in this beauty is out of this world.
Nothing screams “fall!” like a cobbler. These two are both winners:
- Peach Cobbler: This classic peach cobbler is exactly what you’d expect – sweet peaches with the perfect balance of crunchy cobbler topping. Add a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream and you’re set.
- Pumpkin Cobbler: Less classic is this pumpkin cobbler. The way this one bakes creates a gooey layer at the bottom that is amazing!
Of course we have a few favorites that don’t fit into one of our categories, but deserve a place at the table:
- Chocolate Cherry Braid: Chocolate and cherries are such a winning flavor combination. Maybe that’s why chocolate covered cherries have been around since the 1700s! This chocolate cherry braid brings this wonderful flavor combination to a pastry.
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Bars: Gingerbread always gets us feelin’ festive, which is one reason we love these bars. The molassesy goodness of the gingerbread is balanced by the sweetness of white chocolate, creating these melt-in-your-mouth bars.
- White Pepper Crème Brûlée with Fig and Prune Compote: This dessert is the grown up of the bunch, and requires a little preparation, but it’s worth it. The brûlée is accented nicely by the compote, and the flavors are rich and fruity.
Does your family have a go-to dessert recipe that must be in the holiday spread? Share it with us in the comments!