AllSpice has everything you need for creating a fantastic Valentine’s Day celebration: We’ve got freshly ground spices and herbs, oils, vinegars and other ingredients for cooking a romantic dinner for two. We’ve got many varieties of cinnamon and vanilla for baking fabulous cookies and cupcakes for the office or the classroom “friendship” party. We’ve even got neat gift sets [all done up with a Valentine card] for your foodie sweetheart.
But don’t let your Valentine fun stop at our doorstep. The whole East Village is brimming with great things to see and do this week, both in preparation for, and in celebration of, Valentine’s Day!
Here’s a [partial, continually updated] list of what’s happening in the neighborhood this week:
- Our next door neighbors at the Vitae design collective are having their annual clearance sale, through Feb. 14. Vitae sells an eclectic mix of vintage, new, and restyled/upcycled clothing and accessories.
- Brenton Skating Plaza is open daily, and their hours on Valentine’s Day are 11 am to 9 pm. For the young [or bargain-minded] sweetheart, bring your date along Febrary 14th to the rink and skate all day for $5.00, including admission and skate rental. The skating plaza also has a contest to register to win a gift from Chocolaterie Stam.
- Ellen at Leona Ruby says “I am getting a lot of Spring merchandise in the store as well as great Valentine’s day themed jewelry!”
- Hipster paradise/t-shirt emporium Raygun always has a wide variety of clever shirts to choose from. Especially for Valentine’s Day, there is a new batch of bacon-themed valentine t-shirts.
- Chrissy at Domestica says, “I am having a week-long Valentine’s Day party (with margaritas on Saturday afternoon*) because last Saturday when the actual party was planned, it snowed SO much! We’ve got specials on Butter London polish, tons of new jewelry + prints and lots of items on sale.”
- Green Goods on East Fourth is featuring three different jewelry artisans this week-end: Friday, Rae McVey will be in our shop from 11-4, Saturday, De Hicks and Mary Nelson are showing their work 11-3. Plus we have a good supply of Valentine Cards that you can plant, with wildflower seeds embedded right in the cards.
- Kitchen Collage is having their “February Thaw” Sale, Thursday Feb 16- Saturday Feb 18th. KC has all the kitchen gear you’ll ever need for cooking up the goodies you find here at AllSpice.
- East Village Day Spa on East Fifth is partnering with Jasper Winery to offer a Chocolates, Wine, and Massage gift card Special. Through Valentine’s Day, shoppers can stop into East Village Spa to purchase a gift card for the EV Signature Massage to enjoy at the spa, and a chocolate-and-wine pairing experience to celebrate at Jasper Winery. Customers can make two separate dates of it, or schedule appointments for massages and wine-and-chocolate the same day.
- Joey, the Director of Guest Relations over at Salon W, tells us “For Valentine’s day and this weekend, we are serving Chocolate Truffles and Prosecco for anyone that books a spa package with us!”
- Patrick, around the corner at Vanity and Glamour Cosmetics is taking appointments for folks who want a glamorous look for their Valentine date. “Starting in February, we also have our first Laqure of color for lips called ‘Econo-Queen Gloss’ – a generous 9gram package available in 6 different shades for $12.50.”
- All of the restaurants in the East Village are gearing up for Valentine “date night” this weekend and next week, from Open Sesame [Lebanese and Mediterranean food], and Lucca [Italian], to Zombie Burger [evil burgers and undead milkshakes]. Of particular note is Luna Bistro, over on Des Moines Street [one block north of Grand Ave.]: they are putting on an elegant prix-fixe Valentine’s Day dinner [Feb. 11 and Feb. 14 only], featuring dishes made with AllSpice’s fine ingredients.
Photo credit: McCall Style and Beauty, 1939, George Eastman House