- ½ C. Raw Unblanched Almonds
- ½ C. Shelled, Unsalted Raw Pistachio Nuts
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or Mild Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, Peeled and Grated
- ½ tsp. Coriander, Ground
- ¼ tsp. Mace
- ½ tsp. White Pepper, Fine Ground
- 2 Cardamom, Green Ground
- ½ tsp. Cayenne, Powder
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg, Ground
- ½ tsp. Saffron, Spanish Soaked in 2 Tbsp. Hot Water
- 2 C. Heavy Cream
- ¾ tsp. Sea Salt, Fine
- Heat a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add raw almonds and pistachios and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Place in a food processor or heavy-duty blender and process until nuts are powdered. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Sauté sweet onion until lightly browned. Add coriander, mace, white pepper, cardamom, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Cook about 1 minute, until fragrant. Continuing to stir, add saffron, cream, salt, and powdered nuts and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience with us in the comments below.