AllSpice staffer Eva said: I love this Applesauce Spice Cake from my mom’s vintage Better Homes + Gardens cookbook. The page it’s printed on was already crinkled and butter-stained when the book was handed down to her from one of great aunts – that’s how you know it’s really good! My mother will make this a few times a year and I love to come over and have a piece (or two or three).
- 2½ C. Flour
- 1½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon, Saigon Ground
- ¾ tsp. Nutmeg, Ground
- ½ tsp. Cloves, Ground
- ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ C. Butter
- 2 C. Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 C. Unsweetened Applesauce
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease and lightly flour a 13 ” x 9 ” cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, except the sugar.
- Cream the butter in the mixing bowl on the mixer’s lowest speed, beating until creamy. Add sugar, a half cup at a time, mixing until thoroughly incorporated. Add eggs, one at a time, beating at least one minute after each addition. Alternate adding applesauce and dry ingredients to the batter.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 45 – 50 min. Cake is done when a toothpick, inserted in the middle of the cake, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool at least 15 min on a wire cooling rack before slicing and serving.
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience with us in the comments below.