We missed Talk Like A Pirate Day earlier in September, but with its autumnal spices, ginger, apples, and (the pirate’s favorite) rum, this “Walk the Plank” punch is a wonderful seasonal treat – perfect for cool fall evening potlucks or grown-up buccaneers at your Halloween costume party!
- 8 Cups (½ Gallon) Apple Cider
- ¼ Cup Mulling Spices
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger, Grated
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Dark Rum
- 1 Apple, Cored and Thinly Sliced
- 1 Orange, Thinly Sliced
- Put mulling spices into mesh bag or cheesecloth.
- Pour the apple cider into a large pan or stock pot with the bundled mulling spices, fresh ginger and brown sugar, and warm mixture over medium low heat.
- Bring punch to a simmer, stirring frequently until the brown sugar fully dissolves. Continue to simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes, allowing the spices to permeate the warming cider.
- Remove the Mulling Spice bundle and stir in the dark rum. Add the orange and apple slices.
- Keep warm, and ladle into mugs to serve.
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience with us in the comments below.