- 3 lbs. Uncooked Sausages, such as Sweet or Hot Italian Sausages, Bratwurst, Chorizo, Linguica, etc.
- 1 Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 3 C. Beer
- 2 tsp. Mustard, Yellow Whole
- 1 Tbsp. Fennel Seed, Whole
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil (try the Garlic Infused Olive Oil or Chipotle Infused Olive Oil)
- Mustard, for serving
- Prick each sausage a half-dozen times with a fork. Arrange the onion slices on the bottom of a sauté pan just large enough to hold all the sausages. Place the sausages on top and add beer, bay leaves, mustard seeds, fennel, and water to cover (the ratio should be about 3 parts beer to 1 part water). Place the pan over medium heat and gradually bring the liquid to a simmer, not a rapid boil. Poach the sausages until half-cooked, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the sausages to a rack on a baking sheet to drain or drain in a colander. Separate the sausages into links.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Lightly brush the sausages on all sides with oil and place on the hot grate. Grill until the casings are crisp and nicely browned and the sausages are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer the sausages to plates or a platter and let rest for 3 minutes. Serve with plenty of mustard.
- Make sure to grab extra oil to spread across your buns to toast on the grill for an extra crunch!
- If you’re not able to grill immediately after poaching, go ahead and poach long enough so the sausages are cooked thru and reheat at grilling destination!
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience with us in the comments below.