- 3 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
- Kosher salt and Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
- ¼ C. Chipotle Infused Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Smoked Sausage, Cut into 1/4-Inch Slices
- ½ C. All-Purpose Flour
- 5 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 8 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Seeded and Chopped
- 3 Stalks Celery Chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Gumbo File, Powder
- 1/8 C. Worcestershire, Powder
- ½ Tbsp. Parsley
- 4 C. Beef Stock
- 14 oz. Can Stewed Tomatoes with Juice
- 2 C. Frozen Sliced Okra
- 4 Green Onions, Sliced, White and Green Parts
- ½ lb. Small Shrimp, Peeled, Deveined and Cooked
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
- Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Let the roux cool.
- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire powder, file powder, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups hot beef stock, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience with us in the comments below.