This recipe took first place at our “Salty & Sweet Snack Mix” Competition at the 2015 Iowa State Fair.
5 Cups oyster crackers
1 Cup (2 sticks) butter
1 Cup light brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp Korintje Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Bourbon Island Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 tsp Korintje Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spread out the crackers evenly in a single layer on the baking sheet and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar, melting over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil, and allow to boil for 2 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in 1-1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla. Pour this butter-sugar-spice mixture immediately on top of the crackers. Use a rubber spatula, stir and coat the crackers evenly with the mixture.
4. Bake crackers for 10 minutes until they appear bubbly all over.
5. While the crackers are in the oven, combine the vanilla sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Set this mixture aside.
6. After crackers appear bubbly all over, remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle immediately with the dry salty/cinnamon/sugar mixture evenly.
7.Allow the crackers to cool, and then break into pieces.
8. Serve immediately or store airtight for up to a week.