- 2 C. All Purpose Flour
- 2 C. Granulated Sugar
- ¼ C. Organic Cocoa Powder, Dutch Processed
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¾ C. Unflavored Olive Oil (Or Part Butter Infused Olive Oil and Part Mild Olive Oil)
- ½ C. Low-Fat Buttermilk
- 2 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 C. Hot Water
- ¼ C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ C. Low Fat Buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract, Bourbon Island
- 1 Pound Powdered Sugar (about 4 C.)
- 1 C. Pecans or Coconut, Finely Chopped (Optional)
- Espresso Brava Salt, for Garnish (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a big 18 x 12″ jelly roll pan with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt). Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla, and butter extract. Mix on medium speed for about one minute.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture, and blend for 1 to 2 minutes, or until well mixed.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly add one cup of hot water, and blend until well combined (batter will be a little watery).
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20 min, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine olive oil, buttermilk and cocoa. While stirring, bring mixture to a low boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat, add vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Spread frosting evenly over warm cake. Sprinkle with Espresso Brava Salt garnish if desired.
Have you made this recipe? Share your experience with us in the comments below.