- 7 oz. Dark Chocolate Bar (62-70% Cacao)
- 1½ C. Butter (3 Sticks)
- 2 C. Sugar
- 8 Eggs
- 1½ C. Flour
- ¼ C. Organic Cocoa Powder, Dutch Processed
- 1½ tsp. Baking Powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt, Fine
- 2 tsp. Chinese Five-Spice Powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coarsely chop the dark chocolate bar and transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add softened butter to the mixing bowl and cream it together with the chocolate with the mixer on its lowest setting.
- Suspend the butter-chocolate bowl over a pan of simmering water on the stove, and stir the mixture until the chocolate melts and is well combined with the butter.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the heat and stir in the sugar. Let the mixture “set” for 10 min, allowing it to cool and thicken a little. Return the bowl to the mixer and beat mixture at medium speed for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the remaining dry ingredients, and then add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and stir together until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among two greased cupcake/muffin tins and bake for 20-25 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Rotate the cupcake pan halfway through the baking time to ensure even cooking.
- Remove pans to a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before removing cupcakes from pan. Top with your favorite cream cheese or chocolate frosting.
- Store leftover cupcakes in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This recipe yields 24 regular cupcakes.