This recipe comes from customer Bridget L. of Norwalk, Iowa and it won 2nd place at our 2018 Iowa State Fair Chili Contest.
- 1/3 C. Chili Powder, Medium
- 3 Tbsp. Cumin, Ground
- 1 Tbsp. Onion, Granulated
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, Granulated
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato, Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika, Premium Grade
- 1 tsp. Chipotle Chile, Brown Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne, Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ancho Chile, Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Jalapeno Chile, Diced
- 32 oz. Beef Bone Broth
- 1 28 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
- 2 15 oz. Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Small Can Tomato Paste (with Italian Herbs)
- 2 Cans Pinto Beans
- 2 Cans Black Beans
- 1 lbs. Spicy Italian sausage, Ground
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 3 Tbsp. Water + 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp. Butter Infused Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- Water as Needed
- Mix all spices together and set aside.
- Using a large crockpot or slow cooker, combine bone broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans. Set slow cooker to medium heat setting and cover.
- Mix ground beef, baking soda, and 3 tablespoons of water together and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Brown the Italian sausage in a large, heavy skillet. Add cooked sausage to slow cooker. Do not drain. Use the same skillet to brown the ground beef and add to the slow cooker. Do not drain.
- In the same skillet, add butter olive oil and sauté the onion and green pepper until onion is translucent. Add spice mix to the onion and pepper, and cook 3 minutes more. Add the onion-pepper-spice mixture to the crock pot.
- Add water as needed if you like your chili a little ‘soupier’.
- Before serving, drizzle each bowl of chili with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with cheese.